The power supply of telephone plants and FM/TV relay stations has always entailed numerous problems and specific needs which are difficult to meet, among them:
- to assure the safety of operators working on the plants, according to the law;
- to assure continuity of operation to the plants;
- to build a compact distribution system for all loads usually present in relay stations;
- to limit the costs of installation and management;
- to allow a cheap and effective technical assistance.
The continuity of operation required by an automatic repeater, often installed in practically inaccessible sites, must satisfy a variety of requirements, ranging from the prevalently technical to the economic, limiting the need for intervention on the equipment.
The first problem to arise, and probably also the most difficult to tackle, is that of protection against atmospheric discharges, practically omnipresent in repeaters on account of the sites they have to be installed in. Due to the coupling of electromagnetic fields and the conduction in cables, the effect of lightning spreads for several kilometres from the impact point.
IREM integrated power supplies solve the power quality problems of broadcasting stations in the telecommunications sector. They include safety, protection, distribution, connection and signal devices.
All the integrated power supplies of AI range can also be manufactured with class II protection (double insulation).